Disclaimer! Any Soviet, Communist and related symbols shown in my blog are ONLY for tribute to my native country and NOT for support any current leftist or socialist movement. Thanks for reading and undestanding this.
I’ve seen many “tactical”, grilling and work aprons. As usual, I was not satisfied with any one from them so decided to make own concept.
The problem was – I personally do not need any pesky aprons! The prototype is for another person, partially gift, partially testing. Luckily his preferences are known by me.
I am aware about opinion that only sew-in padded straps give real comfort and stability. To be honest, I like simple seatbelt straps very much and consider them comfortable. But just in case of, say, heavier than usual load, or anything else, full-scale straps are nice to have. Inspired with Vanquest Katara 16 (Javelin 18 also) design, I dared to develop my very own attachment, more sturdy and simple yet still convenient and versatile. And combining the advantages and drawbacks from both variants, he-he.
Compact chest rigs that integrate into the backpack’s straps are not new – D3CR+FlatPack from HSP (read – VOCR from EGL), Ventrapack from CivilianLab, to name a few. I’ve always wondered how pricey they are, noticing the small dimensions and overall amount of labor put into them.
Now, let’s make one for the price of pouches, set of Chinese-made rectangle carabiners and pair of soft snap-button PALs attachment clips.
Sharp cone appearance of smock hood is annoying, to say the least. I sewed the flap (previously cut off) on the hood and added velcro to the flap (hook) and hood itself (loop). There is even some place to stick some patch on it.
To keep clothing clean-looking and free from catching with the bush, I modified it in order to hide cord ends on the bottom. I’ve seen similiar solutions on backpacking softshell and commercial-made smock, but for sure this mod can be easily done by every owner with two hands and enough dexterity to not put the spoon in the ear.
I took two pieces of ahem leather with alredy installed grommets – from an old piece of clothing, already garbage.
And I’ve made holes in the smock’s pockets from an inner side, put pieces with grommets on the holes and sewed them together by hand – rough but tough.
Here is view from inside a pocket:
Satisfied with it so far. Though, it will be better with two-layered leather with grommet – one layer into pocket, second on the inner side of smock.