Behold! Perhaps the longest my journey from idea to prototype, this bag was nearly completely developed in my mind more than two years ago. And due to my lazyness and other negative traits, it took a 4-5 months even to make a pre-alpha version.
In a few words, it is:
– an additional space;
– located outside the main backpack;
– easily and fast accessible.
Easily recognizable similarity with M3 medic bag is supplemented with concept of medical side pocket for Bergen backpack. Can also be mentioned Eagle AIII additional pockets.
So, assebled it looks like just a shoulder bag.
You, readers, can barely imagine how I hate binding.
So I figured a method to cover edges but make no binding.
Test prototype for a velcro-based chestrig, distributing weight on sides, is ready, while quick-ditch buckles are not available for me.
I made (from leftovers) a base for a rig, more advanced than usual rapid-open buckle adapters for a plate carriers mentioned in concept post. Below: left side not assembled yet, right side assembled already.
AlthoughI’m not into trendy fancy hook&loop things… flesh is weak, and I made a quick copy of ITS ETA medical pouch just to figure out some details and to combine it later into light chest rig.
Tried X-straps and H-straps today, and I swear H is much more comfortable and flexible.
Significant part of prototype is silly stolen from Zulu Nylon Gear product – M4 Reduced Signature Chest Rig.
Please notice that prototype has some redundant connectors – because some parts were ready from previously made pieces and now were combined into new.
Thanks to that, central part of H-harness could be crearly visible, look at “butterfly” on the next photo.
The rig I’ve posted previously can be worn with 4-point harnesses, using simple waist strap on the 5th and 6th points for more stabilization.
But these points can be utilized also as attachment points for pouches (and perhaps even gunbelts or warbelts, not tested it yet).
I’ve got inspiration from some eye-opening discussion on the “payess-book” about nine months ago. Enough time to incubate a prototype. Search-and-rescue equipment is very interesting topic and demanding challenge.
So the concept is:
– pouch for the radio is mounting directly on the rig, staying close to the body and bouncing less;
– mounting a radio in the pouch slanted, so antenna will not poke the eye;
– easy alterating the rig incline from left to right shoulder.
Here I show the screenshot that sparked the idea:
Recently new attachment system from PocketUp emerged and kickstarted my thinking about another method of pouch attachment.
Frankly, I do not trust hook&loop fastener enough to relay on it at outer pouch attachment. But I like very much “soft hook” DTMF and put it in any niche I can.
So behold, the nameless yet pouch attachment system with DTMF and sort of daisy chain.
Box-shaped pouches are much used, so I’ve had to give them a try in a creative way. Here is my tryout result.
Sure it is ugly and crude, but in my opinion concept is proven.
Inspiration can be taken from nearly any source. Two impressions combined and sparked my imagination: triangular pencil-case of my kids and tutorial video seen lately on topic of simple flat pouch with one-piece construction. Let me be clear, I like promotion of DIY skills. But newcomers must be encouraged to evolve, to gain an advance. So even first pouch should be simple as easy, not simple as stupid.
My take on simple sewing projects – below.