– APC’s radio rig worked well?
– Yes. But in the second vehicle something was wrong: they heard us, we cannot hear them. This problem was solved after a long period of time.
– I understand the situation with communications between APCs. What about comms in global view?
– 3-4 km in the open with the use of chinese radios, all the rest of comms by cellular phone. It made me laugh. When we arrived, all bought SIM-cards. I’m calling support of MTS (Ukraine). They tell me:
– you are calling from third region
– oh, yes
– we have subscriber’s plan with all calls within Lugansk and Donetsk region for free
– sure, sign me. Any internet on it?
– yes, this much megabytes a day.
I called it – subscriber’s plan “Separatist”. Completely absurdic. I’m still shocked, why UAF can’t cope with separatists. One jammer – and game over. When MTS dropped service, with Kievstar still in use, about three days we really had no command. At morning arrived a runner by motorcycle, telling orders.
– You have no fear to use phones, in context of spotting [direction-finding]?
– No way without them, till the end of August they carried all command. Somebody said, that he called his mother in Russia, and after that got a mortar fire, but I consider that is not a phones’ fault.